MA (Film & Media)
Major in Direction and Editing
This program helps students move from simple to complex editing applications including advanced operations for Digital Cinema, Video, Television, New-Media, Advertising, Documentaries etc.
Students at Annapurna College opting for the program in Direction and Editing will not only learn the macro aspects of Directing a Film; but also study complex post-production techniques that are being used across the globe- a clear advantage for any Filmmaker.
The MA (Film & Media) – Major in Direction and Editing Program offered at Annapurna College is affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University (JNAFAU).
Join Annapurna College of Film and Media to Further Your Career.
- Build Critical Thinking Skills required for an advanced study in the field of Film and Media
- Explore Various Aspects of Filmmaking
- Learn the basics of the preferred area of specialisation
Explore Core Subjects
Delve deeper into the preferred area of specialisation:
Basic to Advanced Editing Applications including Advanced Operations for Digital Cinema, Video, Television, New-Media, Advertising, Documentaries, etc.
Equipped to take up positions both as Creative Editors and Technical Experts
Continue with Liberal Arts Education.
Advanced Study in the Area of Specialisation
MA (Film & Media) – Major in Direction and Editing will help students:
- Build Technical Skills
- Get Project-based Experiential Learning in the area of specialisation
- Gain wider exposure to a wide range of media
Upon completion of the course, students have the option of entering the industry through our placement office, freelancing, or continuing with their post-graduate education. They can also follow the path of Entrepreneurship.
Member of Faculty for Direction
- A filmmaker, writer, editor, researcher and an academician.
- Studied Direction and Screenplay Writing from Film and Television Institute of India and Master of Arts, Film Studies, Jadavpur University.
- His film ‘Bhumigat’, won the Special Jury Prize at Indian film festival of Bhubaneshwar, 2019.
- Has been actively involved as an editor and associate on a documentary film, Toward Happy Alleys, which reflects on the condition of women in Iran.
- Chief Assistant Director of a French Production named ’Kolkata, 8:30a.m.’, directed by Adriano Valerio, Associate Director in ‘A knock on the door’, directed by Ranjan Palit, currently editing a documentary on ‘Tiger Widows in Sunderban’ while working on a feature length script.
- Has conducted various workshops on Direction and Editing
- Interests include humane stories and folktales.
Mr. Zaid Ali Khan
Member of Faculty for Film Direction
- Alumnus Central Film School, London
- Successfully released his first Feature Film, ‘Khwaabb’ in 2014 and has worked on several award-winning documentaries and corporate films
- His recent international collaborations include work with The Economist, UK and a Canadian Netflix Documentary
Ms. Rima Mazumdar
Head of Department
- Over 25 years of experience in the field of Post Production for Film and Television
- Master’s Degree in Visual Communication and Post Graduate Diploma in Television Production
- Her work includes Editing and Post- Production, Content Development for Films, Television programs, Leading Television Channels, award winning Documentaries, Advertising and Corporate Films, Live Concerts, Music Videos, CSR Features and a lot more across Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe and US
- One of her films was nominated for the BAFTA Awards as well as the 21st International Documentary Film Festival, Amsterdam and won a lot of international accolades like the Audience Prize at the Lucas Children’s Film Festival, Germany; Dubai International Film Festival; Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles, etc.
Ms. Charu Sharma
Member of Faculty for Editing
- 11 years of experience working as an independent Video Editor
- Alumnus Film and Television Institute Of India, Pune (Editing)
- Her short film ‘Chanda ke joote’ as a Co-Writer, Director and Editor with Ektara Collective won second place under the National category of 6th International Short Film Festival of India ISFFI 2012
Member of Faculty for Film Studies
- MA (Literature), English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU), Hyderabad
- PhD (English), University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles
- 6 years experience with undergraduate teaching in liberal arts, writing, and literature. Also has a background in journalism.
- Believes budding filmmakers need as much practice thinking through questions of representation and social justice as they do learning technical skills and uses a humanities-based approach to cultivate critical and analytical thinking skills in students.
- Chinmayi teaches courses in visual culture, storytelling, literature in translation, adaptation, and creative writing.
- She also serves on the Graduate Film Committee.
Member of Faculty for Liberal Arts
- MA (Communication), Sarojini Naidu School of Communication, University of Hyderabad.
- Pursuing PhD at the Department of Communication, Sarojini Naidu School of Communication, University of Hyderabad, working on Community Radio in South India.
- Seven years of combined experience working in the Communication industries and teaching.
- Has worked with the Solution Exchange Program of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), New Delhi as a Research Assistant for the ICT4D Community.
- Started academic career as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, St Francis College for Women, Hyderabad.
- Believes in the emancipatory power of education and strives to contribute to the well-being of the society by fostering democratic dialogue, critical thinking and informed action.
- Teaches courses in media theory, culture studies, contemporary political history, political economy of media industries, Social theory and Media Research.
- Vice-Chairperson of the Participatory Communication Research Section (PCR) of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- AVID Media Composer
- FCP X
- Basics of Da Vinci Resolve and Adobe After Effects
Yes, even without a technical background, one can join Editing. We train the students for technical expertise with rigorous practice exercises. All that is required is a keen visual storytelling sensibility.
An Annapurna College degree gives you a good all-round filmmaking education preparing you for a broader film career goal. With a degree you can continue your higher education, take an academic pathway, teach as well as follow a professional pathway. Our courses prepare you to collaborate as a filmmaker and not just a technician. You will delve deep into the critical understanding of World Cinema, the philosophy and the psychology of how editing works as a storytelling device, which will widen your creative application processes along with a nuanced technical ability.
- Editors (offline and online - for Digital Cinema, Television, Advertising, Corporate Sector, Documentary, New Media, Sports & Events)
- Associate Director
- Post-Production Supervisor/ Director
- Assistant Director
- Technical Director
- DIT Expert
- Data Acquisition Manager
- Creative Director
- Film Critic
- Film or Data Archivist
- Film Restoration Specialist
- Domain Expert, Trainer and Advisor
Feature Films, Documentaries, Television, New Media/ Digital Media Sectors, Indie Films, Animation, VFX and Gaming, Advertising, Corporate Sector, Post-Production facilities, Events, VR, AR and MR sectors, Video Installations, Development Communication & CSR initiatives, Research, Testing and Training, Film & Digital Archiving/ Restoration, Film and Media Education, etc.
Annapurna College of Film and Media is affiliated with Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University (JNAFAU), Hyderabad. The Degree is given by JNAFAU, Hyderabad.
Eligibility: Bachelor’s Degree in any field with 2-3 years of industry experience or
Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication / Visual Communication or
A Degree in a related discipline, with minimum marks of 50%.
Mandatory: Students are required to carry their portfolio of creative work during the Admission Interview.
For further details regarding the Admission Process, Course Fees and Student Support for Financial Aid,
please call our Student Support Helpline: 1800-572-4736 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org