BA (Honors) Film & Media
Major in Direction and Sound Design
A Sound Designer needs to develop excellent knowledge and techniques in recording, mixing, and special effects in order to create unique and interesting sounds. Nowhere have the trends and technology evolved faster than in the Sound Industry. A Sound Designer needs to develop excellent knowledge and Techniques in Recording, Mixing and Special Effects in order to create unique and interesting sounds.
This program helps you tap into your skills in Music and enhance it by learning the finer techniques of Sound Recording, Sound Design, Sound Post-Production, Sound Mixing etc. A dual learning in Direction and Sound Design will help students in applying the aesthetics of sound for filmmaking- a much needed skill in Indian Film Industry.
The BA (Honors) Film & Media – Major in Direction and Sound Design Program offered at Annapurna College is affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University (JNAFAU).
Join Annapurna College of Film and Media to Further Your Career.
- History of Cinema
- Film Studies
- Storytelling and Creative writing
- Photography & Psychology
- Imparting the basics tools of Filmmaking techniques such as Edit, Cine, Sound etc.
- Creative Screenwriting,
- Direction and Production
Explore Core Subjects
- Sound Recording and Designing
- Direction in addition to Advertising, Digital Marketing and Acting fundamentals.
*Having explored their respective majors the students are now ready for an advanced study of their specialisation subjects in the third year
Advanced Study in the Area of Specialisation
The BA (Honors) Film & Media- Major in Direction and Sound Design will help students understand the following:
- Craft of Recording Sound, Sound Designing, and Applying Music
- Techniques of Sound Post-Production, Sound Mixing, and Aesthetics of Sound Designing
- Professionally handling high-end tools and equipment
*Students will need to work on, and enable their skills on critical thinking, scholarly research, writing, and reading.
The focus is mainly on projects and getting the relevant exposure in the chosen industry.
*Depending on their chosen specialization the students also get to focus on their portfolios or research project & internships (as applicable).
Upon completion of the course, students have the option of entering the industry through our placement office, freelancing, or continuing with their post-graduate education. They can also follow the path of Entrepreneurship.
Professor and HOD - Direction
- Award winning Filmmaker, Film Academician and Film Appreciator with over three decades of experience in making feature length films, documentaries – short and long, Fictional short films and T.V. programs, teaching, writing criticism and the theoretical aspects about it.
- Conducted workshops at FTII (Pune), Whistling Woods International (Mumbai), LV Prasad Film Institute (Chennai), Sarojini Naidu School of Communication(Hyderabad) among others.
- Selection Committee member for commissioning of Documentaries and short films for Films Division (FD), Samaj Pragati Sahayog (SPS), Madhya Pradesh; Language and Culture Department (LAC), Government of Himachal Pradesh; and Rough Cut Committee at Films Division
- Chairman, Jury and pre-selection jury at various film festivals.
Member of Faculty for Direction
- A filmmaker, writer, editor, researcher and an academician.
- Studied Direction and Screenplay Writing from Film and Television Institute of India and Master of Arts, Film Studies, Jadavpur University.
- His film ‘Bhumigat’, won the Special Jury Prize at Indian film festival of Bhubaneshwar, 2019.
- Has been actively involved as an editor and associate on a documentary film, Toward Happy Alleys, which reflects on the condition of women in Iran.
- Chief Assistant Director of a French Production named ’Kolkata, 8:30a.m.’, directed by Adriano Valerio, Associate Director in ‘A knock on the door’, directed by Ranjan Palit, currently editing a documentary on ‘Tiger Widows in Sunderban’ while working on a feature length script.
- Has conducted various workshops on Direction and Editing
- Interests include humane stories and folktales.
Mr. Zaid Ali Khan
Member of Faculty for Film Direction
- Alumnus Central Film School, London
- Successfully released his first Feature Film, ‘Khwaabb’ in 2014 and has worked on several award-winning documentaries and corporate films
- His recent international collaborations include work with The Economist, UK and a Canadian Netflix Documentary
Mr. Sayandeb Mukherjee
Head of Department
- Over 22 years’ experience in audio-production for film and television as Associate Dolby Mixing Engineer, Sound Effects Designer and Sound Designer.
- Prior experience as Associate Dolby Mixing Engineer at Symphony Studios, Ramoji Film City for over a decade
- Associated with 95+ notable films like ‘Adbhutam’ and ‘Loudspeaker’ by Jayaraj, ‘Vedam’ by Krish, Bombaiyer Bombetey by Sandip Ray, ‘Cash’ by Anubhav Sinha, ‘Idi Sangati’ by Chandra Siddharta, ‘LBW’ by Praveen Sattaru, ‘Sontha Ooru’ by Suneel Kumar Reddy, ‘Yatra’ by Goutam Ghosh, ‘Banshiwala’ by Anjan Das.
- Sound Designer for the Diploma Film ‘Unmathabudham Jagath’, which was recognized by the Oberhausen Film Festival, Munich International Film Festival and IFFI.
- Awarded Independent Research Fellowship by SARAI under CSDS (Centre for the Study of Developing Societies) for his project named “The Space Interlude” based on psycho-acoustical orientation of Corridor Spaces.
- Working on documentary film on Gajendra Kumar Mitra and Bengali Children Literature.
- Hoisted Sound Art Installation project, considered first of its kind in Hyderabad, with the support from Goethe Zentrum.
- Created sound narratives that are selected by International sonic art organizations.
Mr. Soumen Sarkar
Member of Faculty for Sound Design
- Over 12 years of experience in Teaching and Sound Designing
- Soumen has a diploma in Sound Recording and Sound Design from the Ramoji Academy of Film and Television
Mr. Simranjit Singh Sandhu
Member of Faculty for Sound Design
- Alumni Vancouver Film School, Canada (Sound Design for Visual Media) and SAE Institute, Mumbai. Completed certificate in Introduction to Podcasting and Audio Media from FTII.
- Over 10 years of experience in Teaching and Industry (Sound Designing, Production Sync Sound & Game Audio).
- Some of his noteworthy works are National Award-winning films ‘A Far Afternoon – A Painted Saga’, ‘The Disciple’, ‘Shut Up Sona’ – A journey in the life of acclaimed singer Sona Mohapatra; Disney India’s Bindaas Original TV show ‘The Trip 2’; Canadian feature films ‘Black Mountain Side’ and ‘When the Ocean Met the Sky’ etc.
Member of Faculty for Film Studies
- MA (Literature), English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU), Hyderabad
- PhD (English), University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles
- 6 years experience with undergraduate teaching in liberal arts, writing, and literature. Also has a background in journalism.
- Believes budding filmmakers need as much practice thinking through questions of representation and social justice as they do learning technical skills and uses a humanities-based approach to cultivate critical and analytical thinking skills in students.
- Chinmayi teaches courses in visual culture, storytelling, literature in translation, adaptation, and creative writing.
- She also serves on the Graduate Film Committee.
Member of Faculty for Liberal Arts
- MA (Communication), Sarojini Naidu School of Communication, University of Hyderabad.
- Pursuing PhD at the Department of Communication, Sarojini Naidu School of Communication, University of Hyderabad, working on Community Radio in South India.
- Seven years of combined experience working in the Communication industries and teaching.
- Has worked with the Solution Exchange Program of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), New Delhi as a Research Assistant for the ICT4D Community.
- Started academic career as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, St Francis College for Women, Hyderabad.
- Believes in the emancipatory power of education and strives to contribute to the well-being of the society by fostering democratic dialogue, critical thinking and informed action.
- Teaches courses in media theory, culture studies, contemporary political history, political economy of media industries, Social theory and Media Research.
- Vice-Chairperson of the Participatory Communication Research Section (PCR) of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
Annapurna College offers a BA (Honors) and MA degree in filmmaking with a focus on Sound Design. Sound design keeps the entire film in mind when arranging the songs, soundtracks, background score, all transitioning into a harmonious experience.. Our Sound course covers:
- Location sound recording (Raw tracks)
- Foley or sound effects
- Song and Music recording (Working with music directors)
- Background score recording (Working with music directors)
- Sound Design & Sound Scape of the film
- Collaborating with all departments (Editor & other sound technicians) to ensure the sound is conveyed to satisfaction in each and every frame of the film conveying the sound.
- Sound Mix (5.1 mix,) Plus exposure to 7.1 mix and Dolby Atmos @ Annapurna Studios)
Our Film and Media program with Sound Design specialization prepares you as a filmmaker with special attention to designing sound for cinema. Sound recording is a skill you will gain and music recording along with soundtrack laying is also taught. If you develop music skills and write your own songs or music, you can additionally record them, edit and produce the music tracks by doing our course. And yes, then audio design can certainly be a future career. A student with Music training and Musical abilities will certainly have an edge for Sound Design.
Students from engineering background or Music background have an edge in sound design. Music recording experience contributes a lot to sound design. Sound designers collaborate with Sound engineers for the sound mix of the film. Sound Engineering by itself has a lot to do with the technology used and the equipment used in the studio. They know the sophisticated equipment and set the sound levels, handle the laying of tracks during the sound mix. You can become both a filmmaker and you can continue for sound Engineering. Your engineering background will give you a great edge for Sound Training, Film & Digital Archiving/ Restoration, Film and Media Education, etc.
Annapurna College of Film and Media is affiliated with Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University (JNAFAU), Hyderabad. The Degree is given by JNAFAU, Hyderabad.
Eligibility: 12th Standard / 10+2 in any stream with minimum marks of 50%
Mandatory: Students are required to carry their portfolio of creative work during the Admission Interview
For further details regarding the Admission Process, Course Fees and Student Support for Financial Aid,
please call our Student Support Helpline: 1800-572-4736 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org